A sweet and creamy cheese for a special occasion or simply because you feel the need for cheese! Like my other vegan cheeses, this is really simple to make. I promise! Each step is quick and easy. A good blender is required.
I personally prefer using my own rejuvelac, recipe here, but using probiotic powder also works very well. You will need a nut milk bag or cheesecloth to hang the cheese ball, and a jug to suspend it over. This draining and the culturing process takes a few days, so start at least 3 days before you require it, allowing time to soak the nuts overnight beforehand too.
I use a split of macadamia and cashew for the main cheese base, but you can of course just use cashews if you wish. Macadamia tend to be a bit more expensive.
I use dried cranberries with no sugar added, usually they are sweetened with pineapple or apple juice.
Preparation Time: 3 days, each stage takes 5-10 minutes
Makes one large cheese ball.
This cheese can also be frozen!
- 125g macadamia nuts, soaked overnight
- 125g cashew nuts, soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup rejuvelac OR 2 probiotic capsules ( empty and discard capsule ) with 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, depending on personal preference
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped pistachio nuts + 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped dried cranberries
- Drain your soaked macadamia and cashews and rinse well.
- Place nuts in the blender with rejuvelac or water/probiotic mix, nutritional yeast and garlic powder. Blend well until creamy and smooth.
- Place mix in a nut bag, or cheese cloth, twist until its a tight ball and tie a knot in it.
- Suspend the cheese. A jug is perfect, use the end of the nut bag to tie to the handle and then place a plate over the top of the jug.
- Leave for at least 24 hours ( I left slightly longer ) at room temperature.
- Unwrap the cheese after 24 hours and place in a bowl with a lid and refrigerate for another 24 hours.
- After refrigeration, it should be fairly firm. Add the the lemon juice, about half of the pistachio and all of the dried cranberries, then mix up again. I like doing this with clean hands.
- Shape into a ball, wrap securely in cling film and refrigerate again for 8-24 hours.
- Before serving, roll ball in remaining chopped pistachio. Chop smaller if you wish to.
- If you want, cut into quarters and freeze.