Not just raw vegan cheesecake, but properly fermented nut cheese so you get the authentic taste! This is a new way of making vegan cheesecakes for me and the idea came from the founder of a raw food group I belong to on Facebook, called Raw Food Wild Riot. It is an amazing place full of incredible food shares. Her recipe used fermented raw cashews, much like the starter for a cheese like my walnut and apricot nut cheese. Only of course the savoury components are not added. For my nut cheeses, I prefer to use rejuvelac as the probiotic. If you don’t want to try this ( you really should! ), then add the powder of at least 2 probiotic capsules and an equal quantity of filtered water to replace rejuvelac. I make Quinoa Rejuvelac, which is gluten-free, a requirement for my intolerance.
I kept this one as a plain vanilla filling topped with a simple raspberry sauce and fresh raspberries. But I am absolutely going to implement this new fermented process as part of every cheesecake in the future, it is a far superior way of making vegan raw cheesecakes in my opinion. Also my husband said nothing will compare and he is my harshest critic, if I make the standard version again he will go on about it!
This recipe is enough for 2 small cheesecakes using a 9cm or 3.5inch round tin or ring moulds, which I used and formed them directly on the serving plates. The reason I made 2 mini cheesecakes is because really they are very rich and hard to eat too much of. If you are having a special event or dinner party, then you could take this recipe and x 3 and use a 9inch spring form cake tin or silicone cake mould. For a big cheesecake, I would be inclined to make 4 times the cultured cashew cheese. I’ve yet to make a big one, as I haven’t had an event or an excuse to do so! But this is my best estimation for increasing this recipe.
Cheese making process: this is really quick at each stage but will take 3 days. I day to soak. I day to drain in the nut bag or cheesecloth. 1 day to refrigerate and firm before you can add to the cheesecake itself.
Refrigeration Time: minimum 2 hours, overnight is even better
Makes 2 x 9cm cheesecakes
Cultured Cashew Cheese
- 3/4 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup rejuvelac ( or water and probiotic, see above )
- pinch salt
- 100g pecans
- 75 g medjool dates
- cultured cashew cheese
- 1/4 cup vegan sweetener, agave, maple or date syrup
- pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon organic vanilla paste
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- pinch salt
- 1/4 cup or so of raspberries
- 1-2 tablespoons of coconut sugar or any vegan sweetener
- cornflour ( optional )
- Fresh raspberries to decorate.
Directions for the Cultured Cashew Cheese
- Soak the cashews in filtered water for 24 hours.
- Place the cashews in a blender with rejuvelac and a pinch of salt, blend till combined.
- Drain in a nut bag or similar, suspending over a jug with a plate to cover works well. Leave at room temperature for 24 hours.
- Then remove cultured nuts from the bag and place in refrigerator for a day to chill.
Directions for Cheesecake
- Process your base ingredients, or blend if you have a high speed blender, until well combined. Don’t over-do this process as the nuts can leave an oily residue.
- Push into your 2 tins or ring moulds.
- Place in freezer while you make the filling.
- Place your cultured cashew cheese, your sweetener of choice, vanilla paste, a pinch of salt and your coconut oil in a high speed blender until well combined.
- Take the bases out of the freezer and pour the filling evenly onto the base.
- Refrigerate for as long as possible, as it will become quite firm after a few hours but really firm after 12. You can also try putting in the freezer for 2 hours and then leaving in the fridge.
- Once firm enough, I decorated with some raspberry sauce easily made by blending raspberries, pushing through a sieve, adding agave and heating slowly. Add some cornflour for a thicker sauce, about 1-2 teaspoons and it will thicken enough to make a nice sauce. You can omit the sauce if you just want fresh berries.
- Top with fresh raspberries.
Keeping time: will keep well in a refrigerator for up to a week