I call these truffle-balls because they are somewhere in between truffles and bliss balls. With no added oil, they don’t ‘set’ and hold together the same as most bliss balls. I added a little coconut butter, made from all of the flesh it contains fibre and other nutrients. You could leave this out if you really had to, but it adds a little flavour and helps things hold together.
The best thing about these, apart from how utterly divine they taste, is I made them in my new Froothie Optimum blender! So much easier than getting my heavy food processor out. If you soak the dates for 20 minutes or so first, it will help things move around easier. I will be reviewing the Optimum 9400 this week, which will include a special reader offer, so watch out for that.
Makes: 10 -12 balls
Keeping time: 1-2 weeks refrigerated.
- 100g raw pistachios
- 50g raw almonds
- 100g medjool dates
- 1 tablespoon coconut butter (optional)
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- desiccated coconut or finely chopped pistachio for rolling
- Put everything but the desiccated coconut in your blender or processor, add a tablespoon of water to help it blend and blend on a high speed. You may need to stop it 2 or 3 times and move things around a bit. I do leave it a little chunky for texture and a nice hit of pure pistachio as you bite into them.
- Pour some desiccated coconut or finely chopped pistachio onto a tray or plate. With wet hands shape balls and roll around in the coconut or chopped nut.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes