These are lovely and fresh, sweet and light little bliss balls. Simple to make, they are great for making with your children and a lovely healthy alternative to sweets and processed snacks. I made coconut milk from shredded coconut, then used that pulp in this recipe. But if for some reason you didn’t want to fully utilise the coconut ( are you mad? ) then just use the dried shredded coconut as it is, but you may need to add a little bit of water so the mix isn’t too dry.
If you want to make the coconut milk, just use 1 cup shredded coconut and 2 Cups of water, blend and drain through muslin or a nut milk bag.
I didn’t add sweetener to this, the dried apricots are really enough but I am used to no added or refined sugar. Use a natural sweetener like agave or liquid stevia if you wish, but not too much!
Makes 16 balls
Preparation Time: 20 minutes or less
- 1 cup shredded coconut or pulp from coconut milk
- 1 cup dried unsulphured apricots, soaked for 30 minutes and drained
- 1/2 cup coconut flour or substitute with ground almonds
- 75g coconut oil
- Melt the coconut oil on a very low heat, turning the heat on and off to keep the temperature very low. You should be able to touch the bottom of the pan with your finger, without it feeling hot.
- Process the soaked apricots in a food processor with a little water until it is like a paste.
- Add the remaining ingredients, including the coconut oil, to your processor and blitz until combined.
- Roll into small balls.
- Roll balls in coconut, desiccated or grind a little shredded coconut in a coffee grinder.
- Store in an airtight container in your refrigerator.
Keeping time, one week or more.