These are lovely and fresh, sweet and light little bliss balls. Simple to make, they are great for making with your children and a lovely healthy alternative to sweets and processed snacks. I made coconut milk from shredded coconut, then used that pulp in this recipe. But if for some reason you didn’t want to fully utilise the coconut ( are you mad? ) then just use the dried shredded coconut as it is, but you may need to add a little bit of water so the mix isn’t too dry.
This recipe has been updated now to be salt, oil and sugar free. Coconut butter uses the entire dried flesh of the coconut, including all the good fibre, so is a much better alternative to coconut oil. This is more textured as a result of switching to coconut butter, but I really like it!
Makes: 16 balls
Preparation Time: 20 minutes or less
Keeping time: one week or more.
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup dried unsulphured apricots, soaked for 30 minutes and drained
- 1/2 cup coconut flour or substitute with ground almonds
- 75g coconut butter, heated gently until soft
- Process the soaked apricots in a food processor with a little water until it is like a paste.
- Add the remaining ingredients, including the cooled, heated coconut butter to your processor and blitz until combined.
- Roll into small balls.
- Roll balls in coconut, desiccated or grind a little shredded coconut in a coffee grinder.
- Store in an airtight container in your refrigerator.