I have been making soy yoghurt in my instant pot for a few months now and have found a process and recipe that works consistently. With just 2 simple ingredients you can make your own healthy plant based yoghurt. It is a little harder to find, but plain soy milk made with just soy beans and water, is essential for this to work.
I have made this many times now, adapting the below recipe from one shared in the Facebook group I manage, by member Kathy Cultice. I found the key to consistently thick yoghurt, which is what we wanted, is to add enough probiotic powder and to set it for longer than the 10-14 hours I usually see in other recipes. I have made this in 16 hours and it is firm and thick, although my husband thinks its best at 18 hours. If you set this up on Sunday lunchtime, you’ll have beautiful, fresh and creamy soy yoghurt for your breakfast the next day.
Another important note which is included in the instructions, do not stir with a metal utensil. I even find after we make it if I stir it with a metal spoon before I am ready to eat it, when I come back to it, it is not as creamy. Keep metal away from it!
I use 5 x 0.25l glass Kilner jars, which fit 1 litre of milk perfectly.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Instant Pot Time: 16 hours
Yoghurt keeping time varies but we usually use it within 5 days
- 1 litre plain unsweetened soy milk- ingredients must be just soy beans and water
- 5 probiotic capsules- minimum 40 million active bacteria
- Pour the soy milk evenly into the 5 jars, 200ml per jar.
- Empty one capsule of probiotic powder into each separate jar. Stir well with a wooden utensil- no metal.
- Place each jar carefully into the instant pot, directly into the inner pot. No water and no trivet necessary.
- Place the instant pot lid on, and seal it.
- Press the yoghurt function, usually it starts on 10:00, but I adjust it and set it to 16-18 hours.
- Once finished, you should screw jar lids on tightly and store in a refrigerator. Usually keeps well for 5-7 days.