No need to miss out on muffins because you’re a gluten-free vegan. These are just as delicious as conventional Apple Walnut Muffins, one of my personal favourites too. I love apple and cinnamon together, a match made in foodie heaven. Throw in walnuts and that is irresistible to me- which makes having a tin of them next to me right now really hard!
This has a bit of a list of ingredients, but don’t let that put you off. Muffins are really quick to make. The best tip I can give is: do not over-mix! It’s really the secret to fantastic muffins. Also, make sure you pre-heat your oven, muffins need to be cooked on a high heat for a short time. They’re not complicated to make once you get the ‘knack’ for it!
Usually I use ground flaxseed in water as my egg replacer in muffins. But as I was making this I realised I had forgot to prep that and as these need to be made quickly I just had to use a mashed banana instead, and it worked well. It’s good to know that both options can be used. I am gluten intolerant, so I used Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free Baking flour in these, it is what I find works best. But if you make up your own combination, please just use that. Or indeed if you are not gluten intolerant, you can simply use a nice plain organic flour and reduce the baking powder to 2 teaspoons instead of 1 tablespoon. You should also be able to easily purchase gluten free baking powder now.
I prefer not to use muffin cases because I think they cook better without them. But I know they would probably last an extra day with them, so use them if you wish. I also stick some in the freezer as there are only 3 of us so we won’t eat them all in 2 days.
I brush a small amount of coconut oil onto the muffin tins, this is the only oil I use. Otherwise this is also an oil-free muffin recipe.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10-12 minutes
Makes 12 medium muffins
- 3/4 cup plant milk, I used oat milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups diced apple
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups gluten-free flour, I used Bobs Red Mill All Purpose
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup apple puree- made easily by stewing peeled diced apples
- 1 mashed medium banana
- Pre heat oven to 220C and line or grease muffin tray for 12 muffins.
- Mix the lemon juice into your milk and set aside. This might slightly curdle.
- Take the 2 tablespoons coconut sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, mix and coat the diced apple. Set aside.
- Mix all dry ingredients together, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Add the milk, apple puree, mashed banana, mix slightly and then add in the coated apples and walnuts. Only just mix this, over mixing leads to heavy muffins.
- Fill each muffin case or tin till about 3/4 full.
- Pop in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes until golden and a cake tester comes out clean. In my oven they were perfect at 11 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before removing from tin and allowing to cool on a rack.
These are best eaten within 2 days.