This is a firm favourite of mine and a super quick way to make a big salad loaded with vegetables. I have updated this from a recipe I posted a year or so ago and in this, I omit the oil.
There is really only one essential ingredient, red or white cabbage. The rest of your ingredients can be whatever you happen to have, but I add as much variety as possible and always include seeds and herbs for texture and added nutrients you may not get from your veg. What makes it easy for me, and easier to eat actually, is using a mandolin slicer. A fantastic little kitchen gadget that slices your veg very thinly and quickly in no time at all. If you don’t have one, I recommend you pick one up, you won’t know what you did without it!
The tahini dressing adds lots of flavour and turns it into something really delicious. Tahini is a paste made from ground, hulled sesame seeds. It is protein rich and very handy. It has a very deep flavour and is quite thick, so you need to add a few other ingredients to turn it into a dressing. I have added my usual recipe, feel free to leave out the spices but they add a kick I really like.
The quantities given make a very large salad, as I make enough to last for both dinner and a few days worth of lunches. Half them if you want a medium salad, enough for 3-4 people as a side dish.
Ingredients for the Salad
- half large red or white cabbage
- 2 large carrots
- 1 parsnip
- 1 zucchini/ courgette
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- large bunch finely chopped parsley
- other options: sweet potato; celery; cucumber; red onion; coriander; mint; hemp seeds; pine nuts
- Using mandolin slicer, or a large sharp knife, carefully slice your cabbage. If using a knife, slice as fine as possible without cutting yourself! A mandolin slicer should come with a guard to protect your fingers.
- Either slice other vegetables with mandolin slicer, or grate them.
- Place vegetables and diced tomatoes in a large salad bowl with the seeds and herbs and mix well. I use clean hands as this makes sure it is an even mix.
- Add Tahini Dressing.
Makes enough for a large salad, add in stages and store any remaining in fridge to use as a dressing for other dishes.
- 1/2 Cup tahini, raw if possible
- 3-4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- large pinch of cayenne pepper
- pepper to taste
- water as required
- Mix together all ingredients in a bowl until well combined. Add as much water as necessary to create desired consistency- you want to be able to pour it over the salad but still retain some thickness.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Both lemon juice and salt should be added in stages so you get the flavour right.
- Pour over salad and mix well. Tahini is a paste so this will need a thorough mixing to disperse evenly through salad. This will be thicker than a normal dressing but still easily pourable.