This salad is as simple as can be to make, but the flavours and textures certainly aren’t simple. Suma sent me one of their new products, Black Chickpeas! I didn’t even know they existed, but I am loving the gorgeous deep colour- even if it’s not quite black! With the tomatoes and corn, along with the avocado, this looks absolutely stunning for such a simply prepared recipe. I usually eat this in some sort of buddha bowl but you could pair it with baked sweet potato and more fresh salad greens for a complete meal.
The dressing is light, spicy and lovely and fresh with lime as the prominent flavour. Add more spice if you like it hotter too.
For the date syrup, I make it myself as store bought syrups have all had the fibre removed. I boil dates in water for 15 minutes, cool and blend all of the water and dates with enough extra water to get desired consistency. You can reduce it further by simmering again until it darkens in colour. It keeps in the fridge for up to a month,
This recipe is gluten-free, oil and salt-free and requires no cooking.
Preparation Time: less than 10 minutes
Makes 2-3 side servings
- 1 400g can of Suma Black chickpeas
- 1 medium avocado
- 1 -2 medium tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sweetcorn kernels
- 1 medium green chilli
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- a few handfuls of leafy greens
- about quarter cup of chopped coriander
- juice of 1 medium lime
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced well
- 1 teaspoon hot smoked paprika powder
- 1 tablespoon date syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Prepare the dressing first by combining all ingredients. Taste and adjust as necessary
- Drain the can of chickpeas and wash well.
- Chop the tomato and avocado into chunks.
- Slice the green chilli into small pieces.
- Combine all salad ingredients, then pour dressing over a little at a time until you have it just right.