For this, you will need the Vegetable Nut Mince I posted previously. The sauce is a quick spicy raw combination of gorgeous ingredients and you can of course adapt the spice for your personal preference. I have left out the chilli and cayenne powders before and used dried cayenne peppers- which are very spicy! It will depend greatly on how hot you can handle it, adapt as necessary. This is my particular choice, I can’t handle much heat at all! I first made a version of this I found in my first raw cookbook, Going Raw by Judita Wignall. This is a fantastic book, although a lot of the recipes require a dehydrator so is really for the committed raw foodie who intends to eat at least 80% raw. I have adapted this recipe from the one Judita shares in this book.
I serve this with my Raw Dehydrated Corn Chips. It is a delicious and super healthy meal altogether, and so full of vegetables you will be getting massive doses of fibre, antioxidants and essential vitamins and minerals. You can change the vegetables and add more grated carrot, parsnip or replace the zucchini with them if you like. If you don’t have sweetcorn kernels, you can use peas. This is both vegan and gluten free as well.
This makes 4 servings
For the sauce
- 2 large tomatoes, diced, about 1 cup
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 medjool date
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons hot smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1/2 cup water, maybe more
For the chilli
- 1 quantity of Vegetable Nut Mince
- 1/2 large zucchini, thinly sliced- with a mandoline slicer if you have one, or grated
- 1/2 cup sweetcorn kernels
- 1/2 diced red pepper
- 1 diced tomato
- a few slices of jalapeño peppers ( optional )
- Blend all the sauce ingredients together in your blender. Add more water if needed, but it should be a fairly thick sauce because you are combining it with raw mince and vegetables which hold a good deal of water, the dish will be too watery if you overdo the liquid.
- Combine the sauce, mince and vegetables in a bowl.
- Serve with Raw Dehydrated Corn Chips if you can, or even on its own with avocado, coconut yoghurt, coriander and a few squeezes of lime juice.
This Raw Chilli will last 1-2 days, refrigerated.