Rejuvelac is a fermented tonic, made with the soak water of certain grains and wheat berries.
I recently started making nut ‘cheese’, a vegan cheese substitute. I don’t like the heavily processed vegan cheeses you can buy, which also usually contain a lot of refined soy products. Making your own nut based cheese, sounds really complicated, but it isn’t and the results are actually pretty surprising. I initially used probiotic powders, but last week I made this rejuvelac, which is used as a tonic on it’s own or instead of probiotics in nut cheeses. I much prefer using rejuvelac, and I also tried it as a digestive tonic. It’s an acquired taste for sure! It is however, supposed to be really good for you.
Making rejuvelac is pretty easy. I used quinoa as it is meant to be one of the more reliable grains to sprout, and because I am gluten intolerant.
A note about water. When you ferment, you really want filtered water. I purchased a Berkley Water Filter a little while ago and I now have much more reliable results, as well as lovely pure drinking water. A good water filter is not essential, but it may be that you don’t get great results because of chlorine and other chemicals in your water.
Nut Cheese recipes can be found in the ‘Vegan Cheese’ category of my blog
You need a 1 litre glass jar, I used a Kilner jar.
Keeping time: I keep my rejuvelac for up to two weeks, taste it before using
- 1 cup quinoa
- purified water
- First we need to sprout the quinoa. Place the quinoa in your jar and cover with about 4 cups of filtered water overnight, at least 8 hours.
- Drain, rinse and either using a sprouter or by placing your jar at an angle, sprout your grains. Some jars can have little mesh lids screwed on to drain and rinse the sprouts each day, you can also buy sprouters which have layers. But your jar, with either a mesh sprouting lid or some cheesecloth secured, will still enable air to circulate and the grains to sprout.
- Rinse and drain each morning and night. It usually takes 2-3 days for sprouts to appear. Once you have a decent little tail on the grains, rinse until the water is clear and then fill your jar to the very top with filtered water. Secure some cheesecloth to the jar.
- Allow the sprouts to ferment like this for about 2 days, you need to taste it. It tastes a bit lemony, quite tart but very pure.
- Pour your rejuvelac into bottles and store in the refrigerator.