A quick, simple but useful recipe today. I use this sauce for lots of things, including on pizza base, vegetable noodles and pasta. It all goes in a blender and there is no need to cook it, but you can warm it through if you wish to use on hot pasta. I use whatever tomatoes come in my veg box or what I find at the local market. You can use canned organic tomatoes if you haven’t got any fresh. If you want you can add some heat by using chilli powder or fresh chilli.
Why is my sauce brown? I use plain organic properly sun dried tomatoes that are dry, not soaked in oils. They look very brown, hence the colour of the sauce! It is just as lovely, if not more so, than when using bright red sun dried tomatoes that are not quite fully dried.
- 3/4 cup tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/4 of red onion, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup sundried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon date syrup
- 2 tablespoons tamari or low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar- or cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 large minced garlic clove
- For a spicy sauce add as much chilli powder or fresh chilli as you prefer ( optional )
- Blend all ingredients together in a blender until well combined.
This will keep in your refrigerator for at least a week.