I love it when a recipe comes together quickly and effortlessly. Even better is when it results in something that is this easy and so versatile I can use it in multiple dishes. This sauce was created for the Canned Time ‘Nut Butter Bash’, a blog I have been following since I started blogging years ago and I really love what Angela has going on over there! When Angela asked me to join in, I immediately thought of doing a dessert, nut butters lend themselves so well to sweet treats. But they’re also really excellent to use in savoury recipes that require a creamy smooth texture.
Here I have used the smoky sauce with baked sweet potatoes and tofu scramble, a perfect combination of sweet and smoky. I also plan to use it in a salad, much like I do with tahini based sauces. You can adjust the milk quantity here depending on how you intend to use your sauce. I added more milk for this purpose, as I wanted to drizzle the dish with the sauce, but leave it thicker if you want to dip wedges or chips in it. This can also be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator, you’ll need to add more milk to it just before use as it turns quite solid and firm after refrigeration.
Quantity varies depending on liquid added, which again depends on desired consistency and proposed use. However, this will result in at least 1 cup of sauce.
For this dish I baked sweet potatoes with no oil, cut in half lengthways before placing in the oven. I made a simple tofu scramble to serve with it.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Keeping Time: 5 days
- 1/2 cup cashew nut butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons date syrup
- 1/3 cup + of plant milk, I used oat
- 1 1/2- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika powder
- 1/4- 1/2 teaspoon of hot chilli powder
- liquid aminos or coconut aminos to taste
- Combine the nut butter and milk together, add milk gradually until desired consistency.
- Add remaining ingredients and combine well, taste as you go and adjust spices as desired.
- You may wish to add more milk for a really runny, easily pourable sauce, or refrigerate for a very thick sauce.