I’m very excited to be writing my first recipe for the Suma Bloggers Network. I have made a few buckwheat parfaits and I thought this would be a good opportunity to share a new recipe. Vanilla is one of those incredible spices that everyone adores. I use it here in both the buckwheat smoothie layer and in the creamy and irresistible cashew cream.
I decided to make this parfait completely raw. The crunch here comes form the chopped nuts and seeds. Use what you have. I like to create recipes that are adaptable and for this, really any nuts and seeds will do. I happened to use almonds, pecans, pistachio and chia seeds. They’re there for some flavour, but mostly for added texture. Again when it comes to the fruit use what you have. I used what was delivered in my fruit box this week, kiwi fruit and banana with figs on top, but I also had pears which would be nice with the strong vanilla flavour in this.
The quantities given for the cashew cream makes about 3/4 cup, add as much as you like to these and refrigerate any spare.
Soaking Time: overnight
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Makes 2-3 medium parfaits
- 1 cup buckwheat groats, soaked overnight
- 1 cup cashew nuts, soaked 2 hours minimum
- 2 ripe bananas
- 3 medjool dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 vanilla pod
- 1/2 cup mixed chopped nuts
- fresh fruit, chopped into chunks ( seasonal )
- Make the cashew cream first by draining the cashews, rinsing and blending with the vanilla essence and one of the dates. Place in the refrigerator.
- Drain and rinse soaked buckwheat groats throughly. They tend to be quite slimy after soaking so you will need to rinse several times.
- Place the buckwheat groats, bananas and remaining dates in the blender. Scrape out half a vanilla pod and add to the blender. Blend on high until well combined.
- Now layer your parfait. Begin with the buckwheat smoothie mix, then the fruit, nuts and seeds, then top with some cashew vanilla cream and more fresh fruit.
- Serve immediately.