This is a vegan, gluten free and refined sugar free version of a popular dessert. I use whatever fruit needs to be eaten! But my family like apple the most so it’s usually what I make and we prefer it grated. You can also use sliced pears, and either fresh or frozen berries- do try and eat what is in season.
This recipe is quite balanced, a lot more than your usual crumble. I add in ground seeds and nuts, so you get some healthy fats and protein. Flaxseeds are an excellent source of both types of fibre and of essential fats plus one of the best sources of lignans, a phytoestrogen with antioxidant qualities. It’s a very useful little seed and I do recommend adding it in to your diet. Ground, you can add it to recipes like this, shake it on cereal, soaked oats or salads.
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 cup ground linseed/flaxseed
- 1/2 cup oats ( gluten free if intolerant)
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup date sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4-5 tablespoons coconut butter
- 3-4 cups of fruit
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- extra tablespoon date sugar
- Heat oven to 180C.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl, mix well.
- Heat coconut butter in a pan until soft. Cool.
- Rub coconut butter into dry ingredients by hand, your mix should be dry and crumbly but when squeezed should hold together. Set aside crumble while you prepare the fruit.
- Place your fruit in a baking dish with the lemon zest, juice, and the extra coconut sugar, give it a little mix.
- Top your fruit immediately with the prepared crumble, taking care to completely cover the fruit.
- Bake the crumble for about 15 minutes or until top is golden and fruit is nice and hot. Frozen fruit will need a little longer, as long as your oven temperature is moderate this will be fine cooked for a further 5- 10 minutes.