I was inspired to make this some time ago when I saw a friend post her own recipe. I have come up with my own version, which uses more chia seeds than most people do. I think it gives it a more jam-like texture that I prefer. I also add a bit of ground cinnamon, which I think is great in sweet dishes and lowers the need to add extra sweetener. It is surprisingly delicious and much better for you than traditional jams. I use frozen berries when out of season, just defrost and follow the recipe as normal.
UPDATE: I just added a squeeze of fresh orange juice to my latest batch – divine! A great improvement on this recipe.
- 1 cup of berries, I like raspberries or strawberries
- 2 tablespoons of Chia Seeds
- 2 teaspoons date syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Mash berries well, I use a wooden herb crusher. I did try blending them once but it comes out too runny.
- Add chia, agave nectar and cinnamon. Combine well.
- Transfer to an airtight container and store in the fridge.
This takes about 20 mins to ‘gel’ and will last around 1 week.