Guest Post by Ruby Buckley-O’Sullivan.
I have many fond memories from when I was younger of making banana bread. It was always a favourite and something I enjoyed helping to make. When I became vegan I knew that I would have to create a vegan and gluten free version of this classic. Packed with dark chocolate chips and walnuts this banana bread is something for everyone. It is best eaten warm and fresh out of the oven with a cup of tea.
This recipe has been adapted from the Bit of The Good Stuff Banana Bread recipe.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 25-35 minutes
Makes 1 medium loaf.
- 3 1/2 sliced bananas
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil (or any other vegetable oil)
- 1/3 cup of coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp of vanilla bean extract
- 1 1/2 cup of gluten free flour
- 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp of psyllium husk powder
- 2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup of roughly chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/2 a bar of dark vegan chocolate (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease a loaf tin and line with baking parchment.
- Start by adding your bananas, oil, sugar and vanilla extract into a blender or a food processor and blitz this until the mixture is smooth with no lumps. Put this to the side.
- Then, in a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon then add the psyllium husk powder. Mix this until combined.
- Add the banana mixture to the dry ingredients. Carefully fold until fully combined.
- If you are adding walnuts then this is the point when you want to add them. Make sure they are roughly chopped because you don’t want the pieces too small as the point of the walnuts is to add a different texture. Save five or so whole walnuts to decorate.
- Then chop up the chocolate into large chunks and stir those in until they are incorporate evenly through the batter. Don’t worry too much if the batter appears to be quite thick, this is normal.
- Pour the mixture into your loaf tin and even the top with a spatula. Push the extra walnuts into the top to decorate.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes then check with a cake tester to see if it is ready. If the cake tester comes out clean, remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before turning futon a wire rack to cool.
- Serve warm or cold.
Keeping Time: keeps 3 days in an airtight container.