This is a delicious alternative to scrambled eggs and you can change the spices and other ingredients depending on what you have in your fridge. I added nutritional yeast/ savoury yeast to this because I’m becoming slightly obsessed with it! But also for the added flavour and texture, if you don’t have any it is perfectly fine without it but you might want to add a bit more spice. The can be done in 15 minutes or slightly longer if pressing the tofu first- which we recommend. Either way, this is a fantastic start to the day.
This is a great breakfast or light lunch, but we served it as a main along with salads. This is delicious served with my Smoky Cashew Butter Sauce.
This recipe is free from salt, oil, sugar and gluten.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- 1/2 small white onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups sliced chestnut mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 200g pack of firm tofu, drained and pressed dry
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chilli powder
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon tumeric
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped coriander
- Gently sauté the onion and mushrooms, adding water or vegetable broth to prevent sticking.
- Add garlic and red pepper and continue to gently fry for about 1 minute.
- Crumble in the tofu along with nutritional yeast, cumin, chilli, cayenne pepper and turmeric and stir for about 2-3 minutes, or until it has a cooked egg look. Cooking time will depend on your tofu.
- Toss in the spinach and cook for another minute until it is just wilted.
- Add pepper to taste and serve with the coriander.