I love this for breakfast, but it also makes a wonderful snack or a healthy dessert. Add less milk if you like it super thick. I don’t add any natural sweetener to mine other than Lucuma, so substitute for another raw vegan sweetener if you wish. I don’t think it needs any because I pile it high with fruit. Chia seeds start to firm up and turn into a gel after 20 minutes or so, but I usually make this the night before so its all done for me in the morning. Chia gel will last a while when mixed with water, up to 2 weeks, but mixed with milk I don’t leave it much more than 3 days. For more on Chia Seeds, see my earlier post on Superfoods.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Soak time: 20 minutes or overnight
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- 2 cups almond or non-dairy milk of choice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla powder, or cinnamon for a different flavour
- 2 teaspoons Lucuma Powder
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Place in your refrigerator for at least 20 minutes, or overnight.
- Serve with seasonal fresh fruit.